The following interactive self-management tools are meant to help you manage your health. These tools will allow you to assess your risk factors and provide you with personalized results and/or guidance on how you can improve your health. Please click on each tool’s title to open the tool in a new window.
The Body Mass Index (BMI) is a number calculated from a person's weight and height. BMI is one of the best ways to assess if someone is overweight or obese. You can calculate your BMI using this tool. If you know your BMI, you can understand your weight category. These weight categories are used in determining if you are at risk for health problems. This tool will determine your BMI. From there, you can ask your doctor to explain your BMI, and document your BMI in your medical records for continuous monitoring and evaluation.
If you have Diabetes then you probably already know how vital it is to get your blood glucose levels under control. Testing your A1C level every three months is just as important as checking your blood glucose levels every day (often multiple times a day). Your A1C level gives you an overall picture of how well-controlled your blood glucose level has been in the past 2 to 3 months. Sometimes, your doctor might report your A1C results as eAG, which is your average glucose. This can be helpful because the eAG is a unit that is similar to what you see on your glucose meter. The American Diabetes Association has a great tool that can help you to convert your A1C level to eAG.
You've probably heard about the importance of regular eye exams for individuals diagnosed with Diabetes. But do you know why it is so important? According to the American Diabetes Association, people with Diabetes have a 40% chance of developing Glaucoma and a 60% chance of developing cataracts. These eye conditions can significantly impact your quality of life. The good news is that people who are able to keep their blood glucose levels under control are less likely to develop these conditions. If you have Diabetes, please speak with your doctor about scheduling an eye exam.
Quitting is OK when it comes to smoking. Whether you are a smoker or a nonsmoker, breathing in tobacco smoke puts you at risk for many different health problems, including cancer, emphysema, heart disease, asthma, and allergies. This tool is a Nicotine Addiction Quiz. This quiz will help assess how much you depend on nicotine in your everyday life. You will get tips at the end of the quiz on how to reduce craving and where to get help. There are many places to go for help with the process of quitting smoking. It may be a difficult process, but it could save your life and your family members' lives. Remember, you are not alone - your providers will also be more than happy to discuss your options for quitting.
Exercise gives you many great health benefits, one of which includes burning calories. Before beginning an exercise program, it is important to talk to your doctor first. He or she will know the activities that are best for you. This tool is a Physical Activity Calorie Counter provided by the American Council on Exercise. This tool will allow you to select your weight, amount of time spent on activity, and specific physical activity to calculate the amount of calories you have burned during exercise. Exercise, along with healthy eating, will help you achieve and/ or maintain a healthy weight.
Exercise gives you many great health benefits. Before beginning an exercise program, talk to your doctor. He or she will know the activities that are best for you. This tool is a physical activity tracker and so much more! Here, you can create your personal profile that includes your fitness goals. You will be able to track your progress each time you engage in a physical activity. You can even print a report of your progress to bring with you to your doctor’s appointment. Daily calorie limits, physical activity targets and a food diary are also part of this tool. Exercise, along with healthy eating, will help you achieve and/ or maintain a healthy weight.
Healthy eating is all about making smart food choices. Understanding the nutritional value in food can help you make healthy selections. A great tool that can help you on this journey is MyFitnessPal. Here, you will be able to analyze the food you eat by seeing its caloric and nutritional values. This tool can help you plan your meals, set goals, make entries into your food diary and review your progress. You can even print reports to bring along with you on your doctor visits! You can also track how much water your drink each day. It’s easy to sign up. You are only moments away from your next step to meeting your health goals.
There are many factors that can lead to heart disease. The good news is that there are also many tools available to you to help you lower your risk. Understanding heart disease and its risk factors is the first step to a healthy heart. Weight management, physical activity, quitting smoking and managing stress are key components to preventing heart disease. You can learn about the many ways to prevent heart disease through the American Heart Association. It also offers several healthy heart quizzes to help you get the facts about heart disease.
Stress affects your mind as well as your body. Too much stress can cause serious health problems. Stress has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease. Excessive stress can worsen various health conditions. This tool will provide you with actions to control stress. After selecting your actions, you will be assessed on how these goals will help you manage your stress. This site also contains links to information on Fighting Stress with Healthy Habits and How to Deal with Stress.
Drinking too much alcohol can increase your chances for injuries, health problems, and alcohol use disorders. Additionally, if you are pregnant, drinking during your pregnancy can increase the chances for birth defects. By "rethinking your drinking" you may be able to identify at-risk behavior before the behavior becomes a serious problem. By answering a few questions on your drinking pattern, this assessment will determine if your drinking pattern is low risk, increased risk or high risk. It will also tell you daily and weekly alcohol limits and the percentage of U.S. adults with your drinking pattern. Following your results, there are also links to learn more about the risk of drinking, the signs of a drinking problem, and tips on how to reduce your risk.
Behavioral Health is a benefit offered to all members. These services cover all mental health issues. This includes feeling depressed. Keeping your mind healthy is just as important as Keeping your body healthy. You should seek help if you think you have any issues with your mental well-being. The quiz uses basic questions to assess if you may have symptoms of depression. Once you submit your answers, you will receive a rating on the severity of your depression as well as a thorough explanation of that rating. Following the information, there are additional links from basic facts about depression to hotlines to get help. Don't ignore how you feel. If these symptoms are left untreated they can have a negative effect on your quality of life. All areas of your life can be impacted. This includes your love life, your friendships, and even your job.
Having an annual wellness visit will help you and your doctor develop a personalized plan of care based on your risk factors and overall health. An annual wellness visit may help your doctor diagnose a condition you weren't aware of, and the earlier a condition is detected, the more treatment options will be available. The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force offers various recommendations on screening, counseling and preventive medication for many health topics such as falls in older adults, high blood pressure, and other conditions.
Early detection of breast cancer is important. The sooner that cancer is diagnosed, the more treatment options are available to you. Early detection also increases the chance of a cure or remission. You can test your breast cancer IQ on the American Cancer Society website, by taking a short Breast Cancer Quiz. There you can also learn about risk factors, prevention, support and treatment options. Please speak with your doctor about getting regular breast cancer screenings. Remember, early detection is key!
Colorectal Cancer is one of the five most common cancers in the United States. In most cases, colorectal cancer starts with a small polyp. Early detection and removal of polyps can prevent colorectal cancer. Other ways to prevent colorectal cancer are eating a diet which includes fruits and vegetables and choosing whole grains over refined grain products. The American Cancer Society provides a wealth of information on early detection, prevention and treatment. Please speak with your doctor about the available screening tools to help you prevent colorectal cancer.